The Government of Canada began working on the legalization of Cannabis in 2016. The final working was still being discussed late in March 2017 with the hope of the official legalization date being July 1, 2018, but it took a little longer with legalization being October 17 2018.
The provinces in Canada would have the power to determine the methods of sale and distribution and the legal age for the use of cannabis.
What does that mean for British Columbia?
Sept 2017 the Vancouver Sun reported that more than 100 applications had been submitted to the BC Government. What areas are the applications coming from?
Information provided to the Vancouver Sun show The Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General saying it had received 99 applications for provincial cannabis retail licenses in the following regions of B.C.:
Cariboo and Northern B.C.: 14
Vancouver Island and Coast: 24
Lower Mainland and Sunshine Coast: 22
Incomplete applications: 15
How many stores were open on Oct 17?
Just one – a Liquour Distribution Branch in Kamloops located in the Columbia Shopping Centre.
When can we expect to see more Cannabis Stores in BC?
The Provincial Government predicted in September 2017 that we would begin to see retail outlets opening up in BC in Jan 2019. With most of the applications not being finalized until 2020.
The province only began taking applications in Aug of 2017. All these applications go through a review process which involves security screening and licensing requirements, applications have to go through local government or indigenous government as well so this all takes time.
I have to wonder though why with two years notice they were not ready to take applications long before August.
Williams Lake – 3 application of 5 given the green light
- Flora Cannabis – 98 2nd Ave
- Aryon Holdings Corp – 68 Broadway Ave North
- ? – 850 Oliver St in the Boitana Mall
100 Mile House will be voting soon on whether to allow a Cannabis retail outlet on Birch Ave in that city.
Kamloops Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) will be opening two more retail outlets and two private applications went to Kamloops city council to be looked at by the end of 2018. I don’t have any information on them as of this writing.
Prince George the Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) has submitted a rezoning application to the city for a 2,000 square foot retail store location at 6565 Southridge Avenue.
Quesnel approves privately owned Cannabis store – it is approved and now has to go to the province for final approval.
Salmon Arm has a fourth pot shop proposed. Three were cannabis store referrals from the Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB)
Will we see most of the stores opening in BC being Liquor Distribution Branch stores? I wonder that as it seems most of the outlets in these areas are LCB stores. I wonder how many private stores will open…….
Cannabis Store Open Oct 17, 2018
Below is a list of 165 Retail Stores that were open and ready for business on Oct 17, 2018 in Canada
- Kamloops – BC Liquor Distribution Branch Columbia Shopping Centre
- Online – BCL but no website revealed.
- Calgary — Nova Cannabis at Willow Park, 252-10816 MacLeod Trail SE
- Calgary — 420 Premium Market, D290-9737 MacLeod Trail SW
- Calgary — Beltline Cannabis Calgary, 806 12 Avenue SW
- Calgary — Co-op Cannabis, 7-8720 MacLeod Trail SE
- Edmonton — Nova Cannabis at Namao, 9611 167 Ave NW
- Edmonton — Nova Cannabis at Shoppers South, B8015 104 St. NW
- Edmonton — Cannabis House, 6560 170 Ave NW
- Edmonton — Numo Cannabis Corp., 11733 95 St. NW
- Edmonton — Fire & Flower Cannabis Inc., 9610 165 Ave NW
- Edmonton — Alternative Greens, 12451 97 St. NW
- Stony Plain — Daily Blaze, 1-5009 50 St.
- Medicine Hat — Green Exchange, 328 South Railway St. SE
- Medicine Hat — Waldo’s 420 Store, 946 16 St. SW
- Medicine Hat — Westside Weed, 914 South Railway Street SE
- Fort Saskatchewan — Nova Cannabis at Southpointe, 101-9310 Southfort Dr.
- Fort Saskatchewan — Fire & Flower Cannabis Inc., 313-10451 99 Avenue
- Spruce Grove — Nova Cannabis at Grove Landing, 17 Nelson Dr.
- Devon — Small Town Buds, 102-6 Athabasca Avenue
- St. Albert — Fire & Flower Cannabis Inc., 19 Bellerose Dr.
- Online — Alberta Cannabis
In Saskatchewan 51 licensed locations were expected to be opened with only about one-third of them opening on Oct 17.
- Online — Private retailers will be allowed to sell product through their websites
- Winnipeg — Delta 9 Cannabis Store, Unit 1 – 827 Dakota St.
- Winnipeg — Hiku/Tokyo Smoke, 55B Goulet St.
- Winnipeg — Meta Cannabis Supply Co./National Access Cannabis, Unit 23 – 584 Pembina Hwy.
- Winnipeg — Tweed/Canopy, 120 Osborne St.
- Winnipeg — Tweed/Canopy, 1592 Regent Avenue
- Dauphin — Tweed/Canopy, 1450 Main St. South
- Online — Ontario Cannabis Store
- Online — Société québécoise du cannabis (SQDC) website (web address not yet revealed, check here for updates)
- SQDC Montreal (Ville-Marie) — 830, Rue Sainte-Catherine Est — opening later in October
- Montreal (Peel) — 970 Rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest
- Montreal (L’Acadie) — 9250 Boulevard de l’Acadie
- Montreal (Rosemont-Petite-Patrie) — 6872 St-Hubert
- Quebec City — 670 rue Bouvier
- Quebec City — 2491 chemin Sainte-Foy
- Lévis — 95 route du Président-Kennedy
- Trois-Rivières — 3548 boul. des Forges
- Drummondville — 965 boul. St-Joseph
- Rimouski — 110-1 rue St-Germain ouest
- Mirabel — 13421 boulevard Curé-Labelle
- Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu — 174 boulevard Saint-Luc suite 114
- Mascouche — 172 Montée Masson
- Joliette — 10, Place Bourget Sud — opening later in October
- Brossard — 9575, rue Ignace — opening later in October
- Online — Cannabis-NB
- Fredericton — Cannabis-NB at 435 Brookside Dr., Unit A002
- Fredericton — 45 Woodside Lane
- Saint John — 55 Lansdowne Ave
- Saint John — 168 Rothesay Ave., Suite #107
- Moncton — 165 Main Street, Suite #08
- Moncton — 40 Wyse St.
- Bathurst — 640 St. Peter Ave, Suite #PD201
- Campbellton — 157 Water St., Unit 14
- Dieppe — 784 Dieppe Blvd.
- Edmunston — 575B Rue Victoria
- Miramichi — 2540 King George Highway
- Oromocto — 16 Commerce Drive
- Perth-Andover — 12F. Tribe Rd.
- Richibucto — 16 Allee De La Cooperative
- Rothesay — 34 Lacey Dr.
- Sackville — 16 Wright St.
- Shediac — 313-B Main St.
- Old Ridge — 9316 Route 3,
- Sussex — 138 Main Street (Gateway Mall)
- Tracadie — 3524 rue Principale
Prince Edward Island
- Online — PEI Cannabis Corp.
- Charlottetown — P.E.I. Liquor Control Commission (PEILCC) at 85 Belvedere Ave
- Summerside — 425 Granville St.
- Montague — 509 Main St.
- O’Leary — 478 Main St.
- Online — Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation (NSLC)
- Halifax — NSLC at 5485 Clyde St.
- Halifax — 3601 Joseph Howe Dr.
- Dartmouth — 650 Portland St.
- Amherst — 142 South Albon St. (Amherst Mall)
- Antigonish — NSLC, 151 Church St (Antigonish Market Square)
- Bridgewater — 274 Dufferin St.
- Lower Sackville — 752 Sackville Dr. (Downsview Plaza)
- New Minas — Unit 230, 9256 Commercial St. (County Fair Mall)
- Sydney River — 95 Keltic Dr.
- Truro — 6 Court St.
- Yarmouth — 104 Starrs Rd.
- New Glasgow — 610 E River Rd.
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Online — CannabisNL with the following pending
- St. John’s — Tweed, 4A-193 Kenmount Rd.
- St. John’s — Tweed, 187-189 Water St.
- St. John’s — The Natural Vibe, 306 Water St.
- St. John’s — C-Store (Dominion), 260 Blackmarsh Rd.
- St. John’s — C-Store (Dominion), 55 Stavanger Dr.
- Bay Roberts — C-Store (Dominion), Main Hwy.
- Carbonear — C-Store (Dominion), 120 Columbus Dr.
- Conception Bay South — C-Store (Dominion), 166 Conception Bay Hwy.
- Clarenville — Clarenville Green Stop (Esso), 258 Memorial Dr.
- Clarenville — Puff Puff Pass Head Shop, 72 Marine Dr.
- Corner Brook — C-Store (Dominion), 5 Murphy Square
- Corner Brook — Tweed, 62 Broadway Ave.
- Deer Lake — Deer Lake Green Stop (Esso), 31 Upper Nicholsville Rd.
- Gander — C-Store (Dominion), 100 Laurel Rd.
- Grand Falls-Windsor — C-Store (Dominion), 100 Laurel Rd.
- Holyrood — The Reef Cannabis Shop, 386 Conception Bay Hwy.
- Labrador City — High North 2018, 1 Neal Dr.
- Mount Pearl — C-Store (Dominion), 150 Old Placentia Rd.
- Mount Pearl — Tweed, 50-60 Commonwealth Ave.
- Paradise — Paradise Green Stop (Esso), 1316 Topsail Rd.
- Portugal Cove – St. Philip’s — Thomas H. Clarke Distribution, 1614 Portugal Cove Rd.
- Stephenville — C-Store (Dominion), 62 Prince Rupert St.
- Online — Cannabis Yukon
- Whitehorse — Yukon Liquor Corporation, 120B Industrial Rd.
- Online — Province-run website
- Yellowknife — Yellowknife Liquor Store, 100 Borden Dr.
- Norman Wells — Normal Wells Liquor Agency, 15 Franklin Ave.
- Hay River — Hay River Liquor Retailer, 101-76 Capital Dr.
- Fort Smith — Fort Smith Liquor Store, Breynat St.
- Fort Simpson — Fort Simpson Beverages, 10021 100th St.
- Online — Nunavut Liquor & Cannabis Commission